Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Difference between Knowledge and Information

It took me a little while to find a good example to show the difference between knowledge and information as explained in chapter 5 in the Social Life of Information. This was until last night when I was watching my suitemate Elijah play NBA 2K10. I began having a discussion with him and another suitemate Devonte about the NBA, who the best player is and why everyone is so down on Lebron James. Now both Elijah and Devonte watch a lot of basketball and are big fans, while I watched 1 regular season game and zero playoff games this past season. All of my information comes from watching Sportscenter in the mornings so I don't have the same knowledge that they do. The discussion went on for over an hour and at times did get a little heated, but overall it was an excellent discussion.
This is a good example of what the Social Life of Information was explaining because while I knew a lot of information about basketball I didn't see what was taking place during the game and couldn't really keep with my basketball fan friends. At the end of the discussion I informed then that I have very little knowledge of basketball and despite that I think that I handled myself much better than Monk did in the video clip showed in class on Aug. 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment